Teeth whitening helps to remove discolouration on your teeth, making them look lighter and brighter. It improves your smile and gives you greater confidence.
Two types of whitening:
A. In-office chair-side whitening:
- Usually require 1-2 hours
- Special gels and light system used to accelerate the treatment
- Severely discoloured teeth may require further take-home whitening treatment as an adjunct
- Fast, higher cost
B. Take-home whitening
- Your dentist will take impressions of your teeth to fabricate custom-made trays that fit your teeth
- Whitening gel is placed in the trays and the trays are worn for a number of hours per day, for up to two weeks
- Require more time, lower cost
Your dentist will check and ensure you are ready for teeth whitening. Dental cleaning of your teeth, replacement of defective fillings, restoration of decays and cavities, will be done before the whitening treatment.
Teeth whitening is safe and effective. Some patients may experience mild to moderate sensitivity of the teeth during the treatment, which is transient. The treatment is safe for your teeth.